Snoring natural remedies may help you reduce the noisy breathing during sleep. Snoring is a common problem among people of all ages and both genders, and it affects about 90 million adults in the U.S — 37 million people on a regular basis. Snoring may occur intermittently or nightly. Persons most at risk are usually males and overweight people. But, snoring is an issue of both genders, though it’s possible that women don’t present with this complaint as often as men. It usually becomes more severe as people age. Snoring can cause disturbances to your own sleep and your partner’s sleep.
Snoring Natural Remedies
Whether it is you or your bed partner who has a problem, these snoring natural remedies may help you both sleep better:
- Homemade Saline Nasal Spray
Allergies, sinus problem, or infections as cold could cause swelling in the inner lining of the nose. The swelling, consecutively, makes the soft palate vibrate that creates the snoring sound. A saline spray can help reduce the inflammation inside your nose and ease snoring. But, many people cannot stand the commercially available saline nasal spray because of its preservatives that can actually make the nose more congested. Therefore, why not make a homemade saline water!
- ¼ teaspoon of salt (if possible canning or kosher salt that don’t contain anti-drying agents)
- ½ cup of distilled or boiled water
- a clean bottle with a dropper or empty nasal sprays bottle
- Dissolve the salt into the water. Stir well.
- Next, store your saline water in a bottle with dropper or spray bottle.
- Pour 2 to 3 drops of this homemade saline water into your nostrils every day before sleep. Use this remedy within 5 days. After five days, make a fresh saline water.
- Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil has great anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce inflammation in the membranes of the nostrils. If a nasal congestion is a reason for your snoring this would help you to get rid of it. All you need to do is:
- Add a few drops of peppermint oil on the finger and rub it onto the lower portions on both sides of the nose.
- You can also use peppermint oil to do a steam inhalation. It can help reduce inflammation in your nostrils. Add few drops of peppermint oil in hot water then inhale its steam.
- Pour one drop of peppermint oil into a glass of water. Still well and gargle with the water. Be careful not to swallow the peppermint oil water – just gargle with it.
According to Ayurveda (an ancient Indian medicine), clarified butter or ghee has numerous medicinal properties. It’s used for healing many diseases as well as snoring.
- 2 drops of ghee /Brahmi ghee /Brahmi oil (of your choice)
- Heat the ghee in order to warm it up a little.
- Then, add two drops of lukewarm clarified butter (or ghee) in your nostrils.
- Repeat every night before going to bed and in the morning.
- Olive Oil
Olive oil can help you reduce snoring. The following olive oil therapy is also recommended by Homeopathy:
- 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Take 2-3 sips of the olive oil.
- Do it every night before going to bed.
- Sage Leaves
Along with being anti-diabetic, anti-microbial, and anti-hypertensive, the sage herb is also a great anti-inflammatory. Hence, it can reduce the swelling and mucus congestion in airways that can considerably lessen your snoring, too. You can use sage as a snoring remedy, in two ways: to do steam inhalation or gargle.
1# Steam Inhalation
- A handful of sage leaves (fresh or dried)
- A pot of boiling water
- 1-2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar (optional)
- A clean towel
- Place the sage leaves into the hot water. Add the apple cider vinegar.
- Put the towel over your head.
- Inhale the steam with your nose and mouth, too.
- 2 handfuls of sage leaf
- 1-2 cups of boiling water
- Place the sage leaves into the hot water.
- Let it steep for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Next, strain and leave the water to cool down.
- In the end, gargle with the water.
- Do it every night before sleep.
Warning: Do not use sage if you suffer from a seizure disorder.
- Nettle Leaf Tea
Sometimes when the sinus passage gets inflamed because of allergies caused by upper respiratory tract infections (as sinusitis or cold), you may snore a lot. The tea from nettle leaf is the most effective snoring natural remedy of such type. As potent antihistamines, nettle leaves can help ease congestion by inhibiting the release of histamines.
- A teaspoon of dried nettle leaves
- A cup of boiling water
- Put the dried nettle leaves into the hot water.
- Steep for about 5 minutes.
- Then, strain and drink.
- Consume 3 cups of nettle leaf tea per day.
Note: Nettle is diuretic in nature; hence, you might have to urinate a lot.
- Thyme Essential Oil
When you are exhausted and really tired, your snoring can get worse. Thyme oil has anti-fungal, antimicrobial, anti-aging, antiparasitic, and antiviral properties that can calm your mind and provide you a restful sleep. Here is how to use thyme essential oil for snoring:
2 drops of thyme essential oil if using neat, or 4-6 drops of it if using diluted
4-6 drops of carrier oil (any vegetable oil like coconut or olive oil)
- Rub the thyme oil on the bottom of your feet before going to bed.
- You can also add thyme essential oil to your humidifier. It can help calm nerves for restful sleep.
Note: Use thyme oil cautiously in case you suffer from high blood pressure. Pregnant and breastfeeding women, as well as children below 6 years of age, shouldn’t be treated with this oil.
- Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus oil can liquidity the mucus and keep your airways clear for proper breathing. This remarkable oil is also a great natural anti-inflammatory agent that when applied to the nose, reduces inflammation in the inner lining of the nasal passageways and nostrils. If you feel it be very strong, you can rub diluted eucalyptus oil outside the nose. Though, the best way to use this oil is to inhale its steam.
- 2-4 drops of eucalyptus oil
- A pot with boiled water
- A towel
- Pour the eucalyptus oil into the water.
- Next, put the towel over your head.
- Inhale the steam through your nose and mouth.
- Mint Tea
Mint contains menthol that reduces mucous from lungs and decreases inflammation of air passageways. Mint has potent antioxidant properties. It also contains many vitamins and minerals.
- Teaspoons of dried Mint leaves
- A cup of boiled water
- Teaspoons of honey (optional)
- Put the dried mint leaves into a cup of boiled water.
- Let steep for about 10 minutes.
- Strain and add some honey.
- Drink the tea by inhaling the minty steam from the hot mint tea.
- Have a cup of mint tea every night before bed.
- Neti Pot
Try neti pot if the cause for your snoring is nasal congestion and no any other home remedy can help clear of the stuffy nose. Neti pot is a pot made of ceramic, clay, metal or plastic. It is a popular ancient Indian method of sinus irrigation. This pot is filled with plain or saline water. Many people use a neti pot as a snoring natural remedy.
- A neti pot
- Saline or plain water to fill the neti pot
- Fill the neti pot with saline solution or water.
- Then, tilt the head over a basin. Using the open beak of the neti pot, you should pour water from one of your nostrils but do not let the water get into the throat. Tilt the head to get the right position so the water can come out of your other nostril.
- After that repeat the process, but this time by pouring water into your other nostril.
- Turning the head continuously will control the pressure of the pot and bring out the water from your other nostril.
Note: It may need a little practice before you can do this correctly.
Goldenseal is a well-known nasal decongestant. A goldenseal tea has been traditionally used to soothe inflamed mucous membranes. It is usually in combination with other herbs like licorice or Echinacea for treating cold, flu and some other respiratory infections.
How to use Goldenseal?
Add 2 teaspoons of dried goldenseal herb into a cup of hot water. Cover and leave if to 10-15 minutes. Strain and drink. You can also add 1-2 tsp of honey to improve the taste.
- Sinus irrigation with goldenseal
Put ½ teaspoons of goldenseal extract (or ½ teaspoon of goldenseal tincture) in a neti pot. Fill with some plain water. Use it 1-2 times a day (Find the directions in the above-mentioned neti pot remedy).
Mix 1 teaspoon of goldenseal tincture into a cup of lukewarm water, and use it to gargle.
Note: Don’t use goldenseal for more than seven days in a row.
Caution: Goldenseal shouldn’t be used for more than 3 weeks at a time. If you have used it for three weeks, you need to discontinue its usage for at least 2 weeks before you use it again. People who have diabetes, glaucoma, or high blood pressure should avoid using goldenseal. Pregnant and breastfeeding women shouldn’t use this herb.
Ginger has been used for treating numerous health conditions due to its powerful anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory effects. It can increase saliva secretion and provide a great soothing effect to your throat. Ginger tea can be an ideal snoring natural remedy. Combined with some honey it can lubricate the tissues, opens up nasal cavity and reduce inflammation. That way will help reduce snoring and give you and your partner a good night sleep.
- 4-6 pieces of fresh ginger root
- 1-1½ cup of water
- 1-2 teaspoons of honey
- Peel the ginger and cut some small pieces (4-6 pieces would be enough).
- Put the ginger pieces into a pan and pour the water.
- Heat this mixture and bring it to a boil.
- Let the water boil for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, cover and leave it for 5 minutes.
- Strain, add some honey and drink.
- You can consume 3-4 cups of ginger tea daily.
Garlic, as well as horseradish and onion, can reduce snoring. If sinus blockage is the reason for your snoring, you can get a great relief by using garlic. Many herbalists claim that garlic could even treat snoring due to sleep apnea as it can soothe and decrease enlarged tonsils as well as swelling in the respiratory system.
- You can chew on raw garlic before bedtime. But, this may be unpleasant if you sleep with a partner or some other person in the same room.
- Alternatively, you can use more garlic in your dinner menu. You can add raw garlic to your salads, or crush some raw garlic, mix it with butter and make a toast spread.
- Essential Oils Blend
Essential oils can help you get rid of snoring caused by improper sleep. Following, we offer you a recipe of essential oils blend that can give you a restful sleep and reduce snoring.
- A mixing bottle (size 30 ml)
- 4-5 drops of Lavender oil
- 4-5 drops of Rose oil
- 4-5 drops of Eucalyptus oil
- 4-5 drops of Cinnamon Bark oil
- 4-5 drops of Clove Bud oil
- 2 drops of basil oil
- 2 drops of Cary Sage
- 2 drops of Myrtle oil
- Carrier oil (almond oil, avocado oil or Wheat germ oil)- enough to fill up the bottle
- 1-2 drops of Rose or Argon oil (optional: if you have sensitive skin)
- Put all the essential oils in your mixing bottle.
- Fill up the bottle with a carrier oil of your choice.
- Shake to blend them well.
- Apply a few drops of this blend on your chest and massage shortly. Do this before going to bed.
You can also use this oil mixture in an essential oil vaporizer. In that case, you won’t need a carrier oil.
Note: If you have a flame vaporizer for essential oils, don’t sleep leaving it to burn. You should let the vapor circulate in your room for 20-30 minutes before you go to bed.
Snoring natural remedies can improve your condition in some cases, but a complete cure is not always possible. Anti-snoring devices, as nasal strips or mouth guards, may help prevent snoring. Surgery may be an option if nothing else doesn’t help. Consult your doctor before trying some of these treatments.
References: Nhs.uk 24/10/2014 Rapidhomeremedies.com February 28, 2014 Sleepfoundation.com