This is a delicious chocolate Swiss roll with creamy filling. You can make it for the weekend and surprise your family or friends! Just roll up and enjoy! Here is the recipe:
For the Swiss roll sponge (pandispan):
- 3 eggs
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 30 grams (1/4 cup) cocoa powder
- 75 grams (1/2 cup) plain flour
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- Cocoa powder, for dusting
For the filling:
- 300 ml heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Grease and line a Swiss roll pan with baking sheet. In an electric mixer, beat the eggs and sugar until you get a thick, pale and doubled in size mixture. Next, sift the combined flour and cocoa over the egg mix, add the boiling water down the side of the vessel. Use a balloon whisk or a metal spoon to gently fold until just about combined. Apply into the prepared pan and gently smooth the surface. Place in the oven and bake for about 10 to 12 minutes.
- In the meantime, sprinkle a baking sheet with some caster sugar. Next, turn the warm pandispan out onto the sugared paper. Take out the baking paper and use it as a guide to roll the pandispan from a short end in a log. Leave aside to cool entirely.
- Meanwhile, make the cream. In an electric mixer, beat the combined heavy cream, cocoa powder, and sugar until firm peaks form.
- Then, unroll the base onto a clean work surface and spread the filling over it, leaving a 1 ½ cm border at the end.
- To finish, roll sponge to encircle filling. Apply on a serving plate. Use some extra icing sugar for dusting (if desired). Serve.